How to file for your Homestead Exemption
If you closed on your new home in 2020 you have until April 1, 2021 to file for your exemption(s)
What IS a Homestead Exemption?
Simply put, it's a reduction in your property taxes as a benefit to you owning a primary residence in your county and sometimes city.
Basic Requirements for Homestead Exemption:
1. Must be legal resident of the county; and
2. Must own and occupy home as of January 1 of the year the homestead exemption is sought.
Deadline for Filing Homestead Exemption:
In most counties, the application must be filed by April 1 of the year the exemption is sought, but some counties have a different deadline.
How Long will the Homestead Exemption Last?
The Homestead exemption will remain on the property until there is a change in ownership.
What is the Homestead Exemption Amount?
These amounts are a reduction in what the amount that the taxed is based on.
**Please note that if the property is located within city limits, you may need to file with the city as well.
How to file
Simply click on your county below and follow the instructions! You may need your ALTA statement from your closing as well as proof that you have your car registered to your new county. Don't worry- each county's website will explain it all. If you live in an incorporated city then you MAY need to file in both your city and county. Example: city of Atlanta and Fulton county would be 2 separate filings.
County Phone Numbers:
- Fulton County – deadline is April 1, 2020 404-612-6440
- DeKalb County – deadline is April 1, 2020 404-298-4000
- Cobb County – deadline is April 1, 2020 770-528-8600
- Gwinnett County – deadline is April 1, 2020 770-822-8800
- Clayton County – deadline is April 1, 2020 770-477-3311
- Cherokee County – deadline is April 1, 2020 678-493-6120
- Henry County – deadline is April 1, 2020 770-288-8180
- Forsyth County – deadline is April 1, 2020 770-781-2106
- Douglas County – deadline is April 1, 2020 770-920-7272
- Fayette County – deadline is April 1, 2020 770-461-3652
- Paulding County – deadline is April 1, 2020 770-443-7606
Thank you for choosing Kelly+Co
Did you know that everyone knows 7 people that move each year?! We won't ask you for all 7 but we would love it if you'd introduce us to just TWO of them! Email us at [email protected] and let us know who you're referring and we'll send you a thank you gift!
Or: Get them started here with a free market update below!
Families helped in 2020
Our average Days
Amount of real estate sold in 2020
for the price